Phew, I survived the baby shower on Saturday! My friend Krista is having a little boy (Ryder) who will be joining us in mid-August.
In the only way I know how to celebrate something, I cooked. A whole bunch. Like WAY too much. To the point where yesterday afternoon, I was on our deck yelling to our neighbors to come eat. I shit you not. The single dad who lives down the street was on it like white on rice. The neighbors up their street brought their kiddos, and my friend from a few miles away hopped in the car with her family and came over and helped us reduce our leftover burden. Good people, every one.
- “Cute as a button” cake. Cake recipe here, and the frosting recipe here. Button tutorial coming soon!
- Spring rolls. They were super yummy, but hardly anyone ate them…I’m thinking it was a general turn off of shrimp?
- Pea salad (and I have enough leftover to take to the church picnic tomorrow)
- Orange madelines
- Pansit (a friend made this for me…so I guess I commissioned in?)
- Brownies (made by one of the co-hosts)
- Baked brie with roasted garlic wrapped in puff pastry
- Virgin mojitos (limeade, sparkling water, chopped fresh mint, and sliced limes)
- Honey sweetened ice tea and lemonade (enjoyed separately or as an Arnold Palmer)
- Wings (brought by one of the co-hosts)
- Mini quiches (recipe/tutorial coming soon)
I’m not going to lie…I’m bushed after the all day cookfest, but it was so worth it. I’m not great with words (which is weird considering I write as a hobby), and in my family, we tend to joke about things to keep the mood light. So, when things get “serious”, I tend to say really stupid shit. So, I try to keep my mouth shut, and show my love with food. It’s kind of my thing.
Monday brings another birthday for Mr. T-Roy. I feel like he just had one 12 months ago!
Now that the shower is done, and all the quilts have been made, this coming week will find me packing up some our basement ahead of the remodel forcing us to store all our shit. I’d rather be prepared, than be scrambling to do it at 10 pm at night the day before they break through the walls. It’s a regular party in my house.
Meal plan time! Reminder, I only plan dinners. My breakfast of choice is homemade Greek yogurt with tons of cut up fresh fruit (or fruit I froze in the summer), and a homemade granola bar crumbled on top. It’s delicious and keeps me completely full and satisfied until lunch. Lunches are always leftovers. We rarely eat dessert during the week, and our dinner drink of choice is water kefir soda.
Monday:: Troy’s birthday! Homemade pizza, salad, and red velvet cake (I use this recipe with lovely results, and make a different cream cheese frosting).
Tuesday:: Leftover mini quiches that I froze after the shower, salad, and fruit.
Wednesday:: Salmon cakes (frozen from a batch I made a few weeks ago), salad, and fruit.
Friday:: Popcorn dinner! Popcorn, fruit, veg, cheese, and a movie.
Saturday:: No clue…winging it.
Sunday:: Father’s day! We’ll at my parent’s for dinner, and we haven’t decided what to cook yet to keep my dad from having to lift a fingers.
This week I spent a lot on food. I didn’t track it, and well, there you have it!
What are you having this week?