Troy and I decided years ago that we would eventually open a restaurant that specialized in sandwiches (Troy’s favorite food ever), and we’d name it “T-Roy Picken’s Sandwich Shop”. A recent addition to the pretend menu would be Troy’s delicious hamburgers; they have evolved over the years in to a magnificent BBQ treat.
Troy is not much of a cook – for one thing, he’s never home, and when he is, I’m hogging the kitchen and refuse to let him in. But, these burgers are his specialty, and I’m happy to abdicate the space to allow him to work his magic.
Let’s have a quick talk about beef right quick. We’re not common beefeaters (insert Tower of London guard joke here), so when we do, we go all out. Local, grassfed, and fresh. It’s a bit more expensive than the grainfed burger at our local butcher at $3.49 a lb, but it is so worth it! Costco also sells grassfed beef if you’re unable to find a local source, and it is now pretty easily found in large supermarkets.
T-Roy Picken’s Delicious Burgers
2 (ish) lbs of burger, preferably grassfed
one third of a sweet onion, diced
2 tblsp McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
3 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1) In a deep mixing bowl, add the diced onion, steak seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce.
2) Add the burger.
3) Mush it up. (Legit step). Relish in your strong hand and thumb muscles after years of Nintendo. Up, up, down, down, left, right…
4) Make patties about 5 inches in diameter and 1/3 inch thick.
5) Grill, until cooked through flipping once. Troy uses a squirt bottle thing that we have for filling up water balloons (thanks Grandma, pfft!), and gives an occasional spray to the grill. It causes a temporary flare up, and we both swear that it makes for a juicier product. He use this for almost all kinds of grilling.
6) Serve with your toppings of choice. Might we suggest a slice of Tillamook cheese, spinach, dill pickles, ketchup, and spicy mustard? Troy would also suggest mayo, but I’d puke suggesting that.
If you’re not one for grilling (I’m certainly not unless you love burnt food and whining), just stop by T-Roy Picken’s Burgers and Sandwiches for one of our specialties.
The grill is always hot, dessert is always fresh, and the sassy waitress will likely tell you a fart joke for free.